Friday, September 26, 2008

Tinga



I've been meaning to post a couple of recipes for awhile now, but I just haven't gotten around to it. If Abby stays asleep long enough, I might get two of them done. Amanda, I'm making your ribs and potates on Sunday and I can't wait!


This is recipe is also from one of my best friends from Mexico City who now lives in Massachusetts. When we lived there, we would get our Mexican Food fix at there house quite often. Just for kicks, I put up a picture of my lovely friend Fabiola to give her credit!


Fabiola’s Tinga

Cooked and shredded meat (pork roast, beef, or chicken, I did a pork roast in the crock pot all day with some onions and garlic, s &p).
3 or 4 strips of bacon cut into pieces and cooked in frying pan until golden brown.
Add 1-2 onions sliced and cook until tender. Add meat to mixture and cook over the stove.

Sauce:
5-7 tomatoes (Roma usually) cooked on stove top in pan turning frequently. Cook until browned and charred (but not totally burnt) and skin starts to peel off. You will need to rotate frequently. (don't ask me what this does?)
Put tomatoes in blender and add 1 clove garlic (or more), salt, and 1-2 chipotle peppers (canned in adobo sauce) with a little bit of the sauce. Blend. Add a little bit of the broth from the meat that you cooked.

Pour sauce over meat mixture and simmer over low heat.

Eat this on tostadas with refried beans, mexican cream, mexican cheese Queso de Ranchero or Freir is what we prefer, Fabiola's famous salsa (below) and whatever else sounds good!!


Funny enough, I didn't take a picture, but I just so happened to find a picture at the Cinco de Mayo Party we had in MA.


Fabiola’s Fresh Salsa

2 big Fresh Tomatoes (Big and Juicy)
2-3 serrano peppers (depending how big)
Cilantro
Garlic
Onion

Boil tomatoes with Serrano peppers. Put in blender, add some cilantro (just a little bit), salt, garlic (1 little piece of garlic), a little piece of onion. Blend everything until smooth. Put a little oil in a sauce pan and heat. Fry the sauce (this sounds weird, but it really helps the salsa), let come to a boil for 3-5 min or so.

If you want more flavor, you can fry your onion first.

No comments: