Saturday, September 20, 2008

Blitz Bread


I saw this on My Kitchen Cafe and had to try it because it looked so easy. It was yummy and would go well with lots of dinners. The holes on top are where I poked my finger in it - the recipe said to! Actually it says "your index finger" - I wonder what would happen if you used a different finger? Somebody try it and let me know! And there are puddles of butter in the holes -- oops, not healthy! I didn't put any dried herbs on the top. And I just noticed it calls for garlic salt -- I didn't see that earlier, but it was still good!


It calls for instant yeast - never heard of it. So I just used my regular yeast, and added about 1/3 C. honey, because doesn't yeast need sugar to work? Maybe instant yeast doesn't...anybody know?


Also, mine didn't rise too much, but still turned out just fine.



adapted from King Arthur Flour


1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) warm water
3 tablespoons (1 1/4 ounces) olive oil (plus additional for drizzling)
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
3 1/2 cups (14 ¾ ounces) all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon instant yeast
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
3 teaspoons dried herbs ( I didn't put any in)
dried herbs for sprinkling (didn't do this either)

1) Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan, and drizzle 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil in the bottom.


2) Combine all of the ingredients, except the dried herbs for sprinkling, and beat at high speed with an electric mixer for 60 seconds.


3) Scoop the sticky batter into the prepared pan, cover the pan, and let it rise at room temperature for 60 minutes, till it is puffy.


4) While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 375°F.


5) Gently poke the dough all over with your index finger.


6) Drizzle it lightly with olive oil, and sprinkle with the dried herbs of your choice, if desired.


7) Bake the bread till it’s golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes.


8) Remove it from the oven, wait 5 minutes, then turn it out of the pan onto a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.


To make cheese-stuffed bread: Add 1 cup crumbled feta cheese to the dough after it's been kneaded for 60 seconds

2 comments:

Amy said...

What did you serve this with? Just wondering .

Marsha said...

Confession: I didn't actually make dinner Sat. night -- we just ate leftovers or whatever else we could find, and then later I got the itch to try this bread. But it would be great with soup, or any other meal you serve rolls with. Jen just told me she made it the other night to go with White Chicken Chili. She used whole wheat flour, and added the herbs into the dough. I goofed up on that part -- I didn't notice there are 3 tsp of herbs that are supposed to be in the dough, but I liked it without the herbs because it just tasted like homemade bread.