Saturday, September 20, 2008

Chili Beans and cornbread

About 3 cups pinto beans
1 container bueno (or other brand) frozen red chili
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion
2 tsp. minced garlic
Salt to taste

Sort through your pinto beans and remove any tiny rocks or bad beans.
Put beans in large bowl and cover with water to soak overnight.
Drain beans, rinse and put into crock pot.
Cover with water and add remaining ingredients.
Cook until beans are soft (about 10 hours in my crock pot). The cornbread is actually aunt Nyla's recipe from the Payne Women's cookbook!

This is a good meal that takes little preparation and can be made with a variety of ingredients. I make a pot of plain beans probably every other week. I use them for burritos for Frank's lunch, and sides for our dinners. I think beans are a good healthy staple that you can add different things to for variety.

2 comments:

Marsha said...

I need to make beans more often - thanks for the recipe! Is the bueno red chile very spicy? I'm a wimp!

Amy said...

You seem like such a good cook. Frank is lucky.