Saturday, September 6, 2008

Dutch Apple Oatmeal (with peaches instead!)

I'd much rather be eating dessert, but if you HAVE to eat something healthy every now and then (like oatmeal), you might as well make a yummy variation of it. My mom sent us this recipe the other day, and I decided to make it for breakfast while Amy was here this weekend.

We thought it was good -- creamier than regular oatmeal, and we loved the vanilla and cinnamon flavors. I had peaches on hand, so we used those instead of apples, but I think apples would be better in this recipe. The recipe says to add the apples at the end, but Amy and I thought they might be good cooked with the oatmeal, too. I've never given oatmeal this much thought before!
DUTCH APPLE OATMEAL
1 1/4 C rolled oats
1 1/2 C milk
1 1/4 C water
1/4 tsp salt
1 to 2 apples, chopped
honey (optional)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
Place oats, milk, water, and salt in a sauce pan and let stand 10 minutes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes until oatmeal is thick and creamy. Stir in apples and honey, vanilla and cinnamon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds really good! I think I'll make it for me and Trey in the morning...