Sunday, September 14, 2008

Calzones

Here's a fun recipe I've had for about a year now (thanks, Rachelle.) It's not too difficult, especially if you have cooked chicken on hand. Here's the filling that goes inside the calzone:
And here's the calzone after it's done. (I sent my husband to the store last night and he bought refrigerated crescent rolls in the tube thing instead of pizza crust, but it worked!)

Calzones

1 14 oz. can artichoke hearts, drained, finely chopped
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
2 C. thinly sliced spinach leaves
1 C. cooked chicken
1 ¼ C. (5 oz.) shredded sharp provolone (I used mozzarella this time)
1 tsp. olive oil
2 tsp. cornmeal
1 13.8 oz can refrigerated pizza crust dough (or homemade)
Marinara sauce for dipping
*I think I used more spinach and more cheese. I also added a little garlic salt to the filling.)
1. Preheat oven to 425.

2. Pat artichokes dry with paper towels. Combine artichoke hearts, salt, pepper, and garlic in bowl. Add spinach, cheese, and chicken. Toss gently to combine.

3. Brush oil over a baking sheet, sprinkle with cornmeal. Unroll dough onto cookie sheet, cut into 6 equal portions. Cover and let rest 5 minutes. Pat each portion into a 6 inch by 5 inch rectangle. Spoon ½ C. to 2/3 C. spinach mixture into center of each rectangle. Fold one corner of each rectangle over spinach mixture to form triangle. Press edges together with fingers to seal. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown. You may have some leftover filling. (You can also use parmesan cheese and mozzarella, add mushrooms, or any variation you want.)

2 comments:

Tawnya said...

These are in the "Payne Cookbook" right? I made them awhile ago and they were yummy!

Amy said...

I have always wanted to try these, now this picture has convinced me!