Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Upside-Down Apple Cake


I found this recipe at Stephanie's Kitchen (her picture is better), and it turned out really well. I only got to eat a tiny little corner of it because it was for someone else. Don't worry, it was for a friend who doesn't mind getting cakes with a tiny corner missing! It was a great fall/apple/the-holidays-are-coming type cake, and it was best eaten warm. My friend's husband heated up a piece in the microwave and said it was great that way. I used a different sized pan - 9 x 13, and still couldn't fit 3 sliced apples on it. I'm thinking maybe I was supposed to layer the apples instead of spreading them out. Oh well, it wouldn't be me if I made it right the first time!

Upside Down Apple Cake
recipe by Stephanie

For the apples:
4 tablespoons butter
3 medium Gala apples, sliced
(I used 1 1/2 apples - next time I might overlap them more to fit more on)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon apple pie spice
dash of ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

For the cake:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter, cold
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place 4 tablespoons butter in a 9 inch (I used a 9x13) baking pan and place in oven until butter is melted. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, apple pie spices and nutmeg and mix into the butter. Add the sliced apples in rows on top of the brown sugar mixture. Sprinkle with the lemon juice and set aside.

2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add the butter and mix with pastry blender or fingers until the butter is mixed well into the flour, and is now about the size of peas. Using an electric mixer, add the milk and vanilla and mix until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time and mix until well incorporated. Beat on high for about 2 minutes. Pour batter over the apples and bake for about 35 minutes, or until center of the cake is set.

3. Cool in pan for about 5 minutes. Loosen the sides of the cake and invert onto a serving plate.

No comments: