Tuesday, October 28, 2008

French Dip Sandwiches


Here is a delicious recipe Amy got from my sister-in-law a couple of years ago (and by the way, there is a similar one on My Kitchen Cafe.) I have been relying on my crock pot a lot lately because I have jury duty and was chosen to be on a jury for a 2 week trial -- almost done! By the way...THANKS to all my friends who have so generously offered to help watch the kids. Jen watched them one day last week, and they were so bad that she decided to have surgery just to have an excuse not to watch them anymore. (ha ha)

Back to food now - So I used a roast that wasn't London Broil and it worked just fine, although I had to cook it forever on low (Sunday night at 9 pm until Monday evening) and finally it was tender enough.

The recipe doesn't say how big of a roast, so you can experiment with how big, how much flavor (stick to one 1 oz. packet if you're scared or have a smaller roast!), etc. Here's the recipe, and what I did in purple.

French Dip Meat

London Broil (my roast was about 4 lbs)
1 can beef broth (I used two)
1 pkg. dry Au Jus seasoning (normal packets are 1 oz, I dumped a little over 2 oz. in out of a big packet. It was very flavorful, but luckily not too strong.)
1 pkg. dry Zesty Italian dressing
a little water (I didn't do any water)

Cook in crockpot until tender. Serve on rolls with mozzarella cheese and sauteed bell peppers and onions.

No comments: