Monday, August 11, 2008

Onion Rings



I'm not starting off with a healthy recipe -- sorry! In June I went to visit Amy and we had fun trying new recipes. This is one we found from The Pioneer Woman. These Onion Rings were delicious (of course they were - they were fried in oil.) Her picture actually looks better than ours, and I guess they are actually called Onion Straws. Here's the recipe. --Marsha
Pioneer Woman’s Onion Straws

1 large onion
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups flour
1 scant tablespoon salt
Lots of black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
Canola Oil
Slice onion very thin. Place in a baking dish and cover with buttermilk for at least one hour. Combine dry ingredients and set aside. Heat oil to 375 degrees. Grab a handful of onions, throw into the flour mixture, shake off excess flour, and drop into hot oil. Fry for a few minutes and remove as soon as golden brown. Repeat until onions are gone.

5 comments:

Clouse Cousins Cookin said...

These were delicious even after they had sat for a couple of hours. We couldn't quit picking at them. Amy

Michelle said...

Yipee! You are some of my most favorite cooks ever! Many of your recipes are our family favorites. Can't wait to see what you come up with to share :).

Aaron.Shara.Abby said...

Yea Marsha! The first recipe. I hope to post something soon, if I ever cook in the summer!

No Buckaroos said...

I am so excited to see some new recipes! We have some wonderful cooks in the Clouse House!
A. Carole

The Valentine Fam said...

I made these Sunday night and they were yummy!