Thursday, August 21, 2008

Grilled Pizza






I am visiting my parents for a couple of days while Steve and our two oldest boys are on a camping/packing trip. I'm telling you it's always royal treatment when we come to visit! My mom and dad put on the feast. Tonight they grilled pizzas and made Shara's Brickle Fickle ice cream. (The ice cream was heaven, by the way, and I tried to take a picture for Shara, but my pictures didn't do it justice.)
So here's the pizza steps.

1. Make the dough. We used my mom's standard pizza recipe which has always been my favorite. When it is done rising and ready, divide into 6 balls.

Pizza Crust
Nyla Payne

2 C. flour
2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. oil
1 C. water
½ tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. yeast

Mix yeast and sugar with water. Add other ingredients. Knead 5 minutes. Rise for 15-
30 minutes. Roll out, press into greased pizza pan stretching to fit the pan. (Optional: sprinkle greased pan with corn meal). Add toppings, and then bake at 425˚ for 15-20 minutes.

2. Press balls into rounds about one inch thick on an oiled counter, flip and coat both sides with a little oil so it won't stick to the grill

3. Place on grill and and cook one side on low or it will be doughy. Turn and as the other side is cooking, add toppings.

My parents have it down to a science. My mom makes the dough and as my dad is heating up the grill, she is patting the dough out. Then they take a pan with all the toppings out to the grill and they both put the toppings on quickly. Tonight we used Hunt's tomato sauce that has basil, garlic, and oregano already in it. Mozarella cheese, pepperoni, olives, mushrooms and sauteed onions and bell pepper.

These are so delicious. My mom used whole wheat flour for the dough and it was great.

3 comments:

Marsha said...

Its been so long since I've had one of their grilled pizzas -- I'm jealous. You said put on the feast, but did you mean put on the dog? :)

Heber & Brooke said...

Hooray! This was such a good idea. (Was that yours, Marsha?) If I checked my email more often I would have been on board a lot earlier. I am not much of a blogger, but will try to do better. So good to see you all at G'pa's bday. Ok, now if I can figure out how to make a new post, that would be good...

No Buckaroos said...

I need another lesson in making these! It's been too long but they sure look yummy!