Thursday, April 23, 2009

Fish Tacos

Growing up, I disliked fish very much (I will blame that on my mother, she doesn't like it and therefore never cooked it). I married into a family that loves fish and seafood. Living in MA did me well. With a hubby that loves fish and because of it's nutritional value I learned to like it and sometimes crave it! That being said, I'm still not a seafood lover. I do not like lobster, crab, scallops, muscles, and some shrimp. I prefer white fish because it's not so fishy and if anything has a distinct fishy smell I will not eat it. Arizona doesn't quite have the selection or freshness that back East offers, but we make do. My number one fish thing I crave is Rubio's fish tacos. Ooooh yummy! I decided to make my own last night and they were delicious. I used a different sauce than is on their tacos, but I'll put both recipes here. It looks like a lot of work, but really isn't, especially if you make the green salsa and sauces ahead of time!

Fish Tacos (Adapted from Foodnetwork's Tyler Florence recipe)

White fish (last night I used tilapia, tonight I'm using Mahi Mahi)
1 egg slightly beaten with a little water added
flour
bread crumbs (I love panko bread crumbs, but didn't have any so I used regular, I also seasoned my breadcrumbs a little with garlic powder and Adobo seasoning)
Oil heated in pan on stove

Cut fish into small strips and dredge in flour, dip into egg mixture, and roll in bread crumbs then fry in oil.

Pink Chili Mayo Sauce (this is spicy, for us anyways)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonaise
1 chipotle pepper in Adobo sauce
1/2 lemon juiced
salt and pepper to taste

Rubio's Copycat Recipe Sauce
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
(You can add lime juice, jalapenos, cumin, ceyenne pepper, or any seasoning you want to it)

Green Salsa (This is a green salsa recipe that I make all the time, we LOVE it, but measurements are approx.) (I think this is what makes the taco, I use TONS)
15-20 tomatillios (depends on size)
1 white onion
2-3 serrano peppers (depends on heat, sometimes I just add one)
4-6 cloves garlic

Peel husks off tomatillios and rinse under water, put in big pot with quartered onion, peppers, and garlic. Add water to completely cover tomatillos. Boil until tomatillos change color and start to break like a tomato does.

Having waiting in blender
1-2 limes, juiced
3 T sugar (I use half of that sometimes)
1 teaspoon salt
a bunch of cilantro

Add tomatillos, pepper, onions, garlic to blender and blend until smooth. Be careful to hold the lid down tight with a washcloth or something, because it will want to explode because of the heat. Eat with chips, on a salad, burritos, make enchiladas, tacos, you name it!

How we assemble our fish tacos
Take one small flour tortilla
Put some sauce on tortilla
Add your fish

Fresh cilantro leaves (We love cilantro around here)
Lots of green salsa, I mean lots!Shredded cabbage and some fresh lime juice to the top!Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Marsha said...

I think I could actually eat this - not as scary as some fish I've seen! Somebody needs to teach me how to like fish! My mom wasn't a fish-cooker either. We did have tuna sandwiches once in a while! Oh yeah, and I ate fish sticks at the school cafeteria. Does that count?