Sunday, March 8, 2009

Healthy Waffles

This is actually a recipe Jen just tried that her family really liked. She said: they taste like Amy's oatmeal pancakes a little bit, and they are super healthy, especially if you put fresh fruit and a drizzle of syrup on them. I tripled the recipe and used 2 C. of store bought buttermilk (that's all I had left) and made the rest of the buttermilk with lemon juice. I added 1/4 C. total oil since I was tripling it, which is a little more than it called for (it should have been 3 Tbsp., I used 4 Tbsp.). I was worried it would stick to my waffle iron since it had so little oil. It didn't stick. I used a little less brown sugar than it called for. My whole family liked them. Oh, and I didn't use the vanilla, either. I'm sure it would be good, though.

So here's the recipe:

2 C. low-fat buttermilk
1/2 C. old fashioned oats
1 1/3 C. whole wheat flour
1/4 C. wheat germ
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 C. packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp. canola oil
2 tsp. vanilla
Mix buttermilk with oats and let stand for 15 minutes.
Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Stir eggs, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla into the oat mixture. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix with a rubber spatula just until moistened. Spray a waffle iron and cook until crisp and golden brown (or for 3 hours like she did - ha ha! They went somewhere and accidentally left the last waffle cooking for 3 hours!)

No comments: