Thursday, January 1, 2009

Jalapeno Cornbread

This cornbread is so yummy! It's my mom's recipe, and I love it. It was so good when I made it, I didn't want to combine it with my beans, which is what I usually do. I wanted it all by itself so I could enjoy how delicious it is. I cut the veins and seeds out of the jalapeno's because I don't like them hot, but you can leave them in if you do like it hot.




2 eggs
1 1/8 C. cornmeal
1/3 C. salad oil
3 Tbsp.sugar
3 Tbsp. minced yellow onion
1 tsp. salt
1/3 C. minced green bell pepper
2/3 C. flour
1 ½ Tbsp. minced jalepeno peppers
2 tsp. baking powder
1 ½ Tbsp. diced pimientos
1 tsp. baking soda
2/3 C. whole kernel corn (fresh or frozen)
1 C. buttermilk

Heat oven to 350ยบ. Grease an 8” x 4” loaf pan or 8” x 8” square pan. Combine cornmeal, sugar, salt, flour, baking powder and baking soda. In a separate bowl, mix buttermilk, eggs, and oil with an electric mixer. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the cornmeal mixture and stir well.
Stir in the onion, green pepper, jalepenos, pimientos and corn. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake 40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. If using a square pan, check bread for doneness after 30 minutes. Serve hot. Makes 12 servings

1 comment:

Marsha said...

I wish I could have had some! I don't know if I've ever tried it?