Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Flat Bread







Jennifer got this recipe from this site. She has made it and I have now, too. It is yummy. Her family commented to her that it tasted like something from a restaurant. My family loved it as well, in fact, I had to make it again the next night. Jennifer brushed hers with olive oil and some herbs. She also used it as pizza crust and said that was terrific as well. The first night I made it, I put oil, garlic salt and mozarella on it. The second night, I made 2 pan, one with oil, garlic salt and cheddar cheese. The other with butter, cinnamon and sugar. Yum, yum, yum.
The good thing is that it makes enough for four pans, and you can make as many as you want and refrigerate the rest of the dough for later and use it within two weeks.
Makes 4 1lb loaves. This recipe is easily doubled or halved
2 3/4 cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 tbl granulated yeast
1 1/2 tbl salt1 tbl sugar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
6 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (I used 4 cups whole wheat flour)

1. Mix the yeast, salt, sugar and olive oil with the water in a 5-qt bowl, or a lidded (not airtight) food container
2. Mix in the flour without kneading, using a large wooden spoon.
3. Cover (not airtight) and allow to rest at room temperature for about 2 hours. You can use the dough at this point, or refrigerate and use over next 12 days. If you refrigerate at least overnight, you’ll develop better flavor in the dough. If you only want to make 1 flatbread, just pinch off a grapefruit sized piece of dough to use…keep the remaining covered loosely in the refrigerator. You can freeze the dough as well…but I haven’t tried it, because honestly, it’s so good that the dough never goes unbaked for more than 4 days. (This comment is from the original recipe, I haven't tried freezing it, either).
To bake, roll out onto counter with lots of flour and put on a pre-heated pan (I used my stone and also a regular cookie sheet) Pre-heat oven and stone to 500 degrees. Brush with olive oil, or butter, and sprinkle with your choice of herbs, pizza toppings, cheese, or whatever you want. Bake at 500 degrees for 5-10 minutes. Watch carefully so it won't burn at such a high temperature. Go to the original site to see the Pear and Gorgonzola Flatbread with Baby Arugula and Shaved Parmesan that she made. I'm not that brave yet.

2 comments:

Allison said...

This looks like a good idea for one of my parties...maybe with some sort of dipping sauce.

Aaron.Shara.Abby said...

I'm trying this tonight, we'll see how it goes!