Monday, August 24, 2009

Hot Dog!

My mother-in-law planned a fun summer party for about 200 people in her yard about a week ago. It was super fun! Don't you love those Chinese lanterns hanging in their yard?

I was in charge of helping with the hot dog toppings -- I really wanted to make a fun hot dog bar so here are the things I came up with (besides the usual ketchup, relish, and mustard!):
  • sauerkraut
  • guacamole
  • pickle spears
  • chopped red onion
  • pickled jalapeno slices
  • my mother-in- law had a pot of chili and a pot of nacho cheese
  • coleslaw (here's a good recipe) --yep, put it right on your hot dog -- DELICIOUS!
  • my brother-in-law Chris's famous cilantro, jalapeno, and onion mix (the bowl right in the middle of the picture below) It was a hit. Here's how you make it:

Chris's Jalapeno, Cilantro, and Onion Mix
(I think that's what you call it!)

fresh jalapenos, diced*
onion, diced
cilantro cut into small pieces

saute the jalapeno and onion in a small amount of olive oil until almost tender, add the cilantro and stir it all together - ta da! (add some salt, too)

*Wear some gloves while you're chopping the jalapenos. I didn't and my hands were burning for hours. (pioneer woman had a warning about this -- Jen told me about it when I called her in pain and misery!)

2 comments:

Amy said...

Very creative, Marsha. Looks like a feast, and a fun party, too.

Katrina said...

What a fun idea for a big party! I love the idea of coleslaw on the hotdog - that's how they do it in Chicago right? Also, I will definitely be trying that peanut butter dip for the apples -it looks awesome!