Sunday, April 12, 2009

Fresh Breadcrumbs

First of all - Amanda, I made your Au Gratin Sausage Skillet and EVERYONE here loved it! Everyone also gave 2 thumbs up to Amy's quiche. And the 3rd thing I have tried lately off of this blog is Shara's Baked Macaroni and Cheese, which brings me to these fresh bread crumbs. I would have rather used storebought ones like Shara did, but I couldn't bring myself to run to the store with the kids just for that. So I called Martha, or maybe I just looked at her website, and found a fresh breadcrumb recipe that turned out great. Only thing I did wrong was use regular salt in place of the course salt -- it turned out too salty but still edible. I did the garlic and parsley variation.

Fresh Bread Crumbs
  • 1 loaf (8 ounces) day-old bread, crusts removed and bread cut into 1-inch cubes (about 5 cups)
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 3 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest (from about 2 lemons), optional
  • 5 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage, optional
  • 3 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried, optional
  • 3/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, optional
  • 3 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried, optional
  • 3 tablespoons very finely chopped garlic, optional

Directions

  1. Working in two batches, pulse bread cubes in a food processor to fine crumbs; transfer to a medium bowl.
  2. To make plain breadcrumbs, stir in 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt and season with pepper. To make lemon-sage breadcrumbs, stir in 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt, lemon zest, and sage; season with pepper. To make parmesan-oregano breadcrumbs, stir in 1 tablespoon salt, oregano, and parmesan cheese; season with pepper. To make garlic-parsley breadcrumbs, stir in 1 1/2 tablespoons salt, parsley, and garlic; season with pepper. Freeze unused breadcrumbs in a resealable plastic bag for up to one month.

No comments: